(5-7 pages) + work cited. Cite a minimum of 5 sources (at least 3 should be from social science journals).
The two-part assignment gives students the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to engage with the sociological research, theories, and content related to the course.
Project Part 1: (50 points) Explore the following websites and choose a topic that speaks to you.
· Pew: https://www.pewresearch.org,
· NORC: https://apnorc.org/,
· Science Direct: https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/social-science-research
The topic you choose is really up to you. You can explore any concept or idea as long as it can be analyzed using the sociological imagination.
Once you have chosen a topic:
- Formulate a research question that your paper will explore and include a statement as to why your topic is important. Try to connect the macro to the micro.
Sample research question: What is the influence of patriarchy on gender-based interpersonal violence?
- Engage with relevant social scientific research; students should use at least 3 social science journals to examine their research question.
- Connect to the theories; explore two theories or sociologists associated with your topic. Give a brief background and explain how their work specifically speaks to your research question. Provide evidence that adds value.
- Based on these theories, what solutions or policy work best to address this issue? Provide evidence that supports your claim.
- Provide a work cited page. Make sure you are citing all of your work in the body of your paper.
Project Part 2 (20 points)
For this part 2, you will develop a video presentation or an infographic of the topic you selected in part one by synthesizing the information for your classmates.
Your video or infographic should demonstrate the following:
- The key aspects of your topic
- Sharing the insight, you gained from having read related material
- For the infographic: highlights statistics that will seize people’s attention
- Tell the basic story of your topic
- Present visual data narratively
Rubric for Writing Assignment
|10 points||6-8 points||4-6 points||0 points||Score|
|Quality of Writing 10 points||No errors within grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and flow from paragraph to paragraph||Minimal errors within grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and flow from paragraph to paragraph||Moderate amount of errors within grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and flow from paragraph to paragraph||Abundant amount of errors with grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and flow from paragraph to paragraph||/10|
|Article Review 10 points||Articles are summarized and used correctly towards research question||Articles are summarized and show some relevance towards question||Articles are slightly summarized and show little relevance towards question||Articles are not summarized and there is no relevance towards question||/10|
|Sociological Theory 10 points||Clearly stated theoryand effective interpretation of social problem||Clearly stated theory and semi-effective interpretation of social problem||Stated theory with minimum interpretation of social problem||Perspective unclear and is not used correctly used with social problem||/10|
|Social Policy 10 points||Social policy clearly stated with correct use towards social problem||Social policy clearly stated with semi‐correct use towards social problem||Social policy stated with no correct use towards social problem||No social policy stated to use towards social problem||/10|
|Content 5/5||Covers the topic in-depth with details and examples. Subject knowledge is excellent.||Includes essential knowledge about the topic. Subject knowledge appears to be good.||Includes essential information about the topic but there are 1-2 factual errors.||Content is minimal OR there are several factual errors.|
|Graphics 5/5||All graphics are related to the topic and make it easier to understand.||All graphics are related to the topic and most make it easier to understand.||Some graphics relate to the topic.||Graphics do not relate to the topic.|
|Attractiveness5/5||Makes excellent use of font, color, graphics, effects, etc. to enhance the presentation.||Makes good use of font, color, graphics, effects, etc. to enhance to presentation.||Uses some fonts, color, graphics, effects, etc. but occasionally these detract from the presentation’s content.||Uses font, color, graphics, effects etc. but these often distract from the presentation content.|
|Mechanics 5/5||No misspellings or grammatical errors.||Two or less misspellings and/or mechanical errors.||Three misspellings and/or grammatical errors.||Four or more spelling or grammar errors.|
Ideas for Papers:
- Interracial Marriage in the Past and Today
- Impact of social media on Young People
- Impact of Technology on The Way People Eat
- Do Social Media Websites Make People Lonely?
- Dominant Cultures in Multicultural Societies
- Patriotism in The United States
- Bullying and Social Media
- Deviant Behavior of Youth
- Extreme Sport Culture
- Gender Inequality and Job Opportunities
- Impact Of #BlackLivesMatter on the American Society
- Results of Geographical Segregation
- Capitalism and Socialism
- Gender based violence and patriarchy
Of course, these are only a few ideas, there are so many more for you to consider. Please reach out if you need help coming up with something.