Assignment #2: site analysis
Please begin by viewing this local news announcement about the Leslie Slip Lookout Park: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-is-getting-a-new-park-along-the-waterfront-with-a- beach-and-viewing-platform-1.5284393 You will then visit the site located at 12 Leslie
Street in Toronto some time during the week of 28 October. The site can be observed from various points along Leslie Street, Unwin Avenue, Commissioner’s Street and Basin Street.
You will prepare a 2500-word site analysis that considers:
- The history of the site and surrounding region
- Existing ecological conditions of the site
- Socio-cultural context of the site and surrounding region
- Political priorities reflected in the planning and design ideals for the proposed park
- Potential losses and gains anticipated through redevelopment of this site
- Who is this park designed to serve? Whose interests, needs and preferences are
- What are the ecological implications of the proposed park?
- What does the proposed development tell us about the relationship between
ecological and political processes?
- What is the best path forward?
If you are unable or prefer not to visit this site, please choose another location for your site analysis. You should select a site that is proposed for redevelopment as a “greenspace” but has not yet been redeveloped. If you select an alternate site, please include an additional 300 words dedicated to describing the site and proposed changes.