Instructions for submission
For this Organization Application Assignment you will return to the situation at the Northeast Sales Division of Widget Tech Industries (WTI). You can find a link to the case study here.
Be sure to have completed the preparation work that is outlined in the Workshop Description before attempting to answer the assignment questions. When you are ready, compose a professionally prepared report, a table, a flow chart, presentation, etc. that answers the 3 questions below. Remember to cite your work.
Wherever possible, your report should be converted to PDF format before submitting it. If you choose to submit a presentation, flowchart, spreadsheet, etc., be sure to view the PDF after conversion to make sure that it is still legible and displays the way you intended it to. If unsure, submit both the PDF and the original file.
You can upload your work as a series of files, or include links to it if that works better for the format you choose. You can use the insert link item in the menu bar above to link out to a Google doc, something you share on your OneDrive, a Prezi, a video you’ve created or anything else that lives in a shareable place in the cloud. You can load up to 3 different files if you like (to accommodate different formats).
A) Seeing the Case More Clearly
When you reviewed the case information critically (as described in the description under “Preparation”), what did you discover? Could you identify some underlying causes driving one or more person’s behaviour? Did you find that you overlooked, misunderstood, or assumed without sound reasons when you were preparing your responses to OAA #1?
Identify at least ONE thing that you now understand or see differently about the case that is important to the situation at WTI’s Northwest Sales Division and then:
Describe this new insight/perspective,
outline how you came to this conclusion, or uncovered the “truth”,
and why it is important to the way the team is working together.
B) Managing Conflict
Consider the sources of conflict in this case. Remember that in conflict situations, individual behaviour is often a symptom of a deeper issue, not a cause.
Analyze the conflict between the managers at WTI, discussing the following:
describe the role perception and/or framing play in creating conflict
discuss the conflict styles exhibited by Neill, Melissa and Renee.
how do differences personality and conflict style contribute to the problems in this team?
recommend specific ways that conflict could be more effectively managed.
defend your statements: why would your recommended changes improve conflict outcomes? (explain cause and effect)
C) Improving Teamwork
For the final question, prepare a Team Top 3 list for Neil’s management team. This team includes Neil and the five managers that report directly to him (see the organization chart in Figure 1 in the case). This is the same type of list as the Top 10 that you prepared with your project team, but it’s for Neil’s team and you only need to list 3 important things, not 10. (If you refer to your Team Top 10 #1, be sure to cite it).
- Identify the 3 most important policies, rules, principles, values, goals etc. that would help improve teamwork on Neil’s team. For each item, explain:
- What you are trying to encourage or prevent with this item (support this with case information and course concepts)
- Why this is particularly important to Neil’s team? (Avoid items that are generic best practices for any team – why does THIS team need it, support this with case information and course concepts)
- How the item is consistent with the OB concepts and theories that you have learned in the course (be specific here – it is not enough to say “consistent with lesson 3-1”, you must say specifically which concept, theory or best practices are behind your item, don’t forget to cite)
- Complete your submission and save it as a draft. Then check the attachment and/or links are as you intend them to be. Once you are content with the presentation, submit for grading.
- Like the work from Organizational Application #2, this report will be graded on more than completion. Each section will be assessed for:
- being complete, (all required elements are included) and
- being thorough (all elements are explained to a degree that someone other than you could pick up this work, and act on it with certainty and be able to explain it to another) and
- applying course concepts (showing that you both understand, and can use ideas, models, theories etc. that were included in the lessons thus far – this requires you to USE the concepts and/or explain your work using the concepts and not just simply repeating or quoting lesson content).
- Expectations follow the 4 Mark Rubric for Essay Questions that is used for the Lessons and so it is a good resource for you to consider as you build your responses.
- I look forward to your ideas and seeing your creativity at work in the format you choose.